FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 20, 2023
CONTACT: Ian Fury
POLL: South Dakotans Support Grocery Tax Cut
PIERRE, SOUTH DAKOTA – Today, Governor Kristi Noem released polling data indicating that South Dakotans strongly prefer the elimination of the grocery sales tax to other potential tax cut options.
The poll was conducted by Front Porch Strategies on behalf of South Dakota Strong Leadership PAC.
Front Porch Strategies released a memo on the results, which is attached. Key results include:
· 75% of South Dakotans support eliminating the sales tax on groceries, with 50% being very supportive.
· 93% of South Dakotans have been significantly impacted by rising inflation.
· 95% of South Dakotans say their grocery bill is more expensive than it was in 2020, with 82% saying their grocery bill has increased by over $50.
· When informed of the pros and cons of different tax cut proposals, 58% prefer eliminating the grocery tax, 29% prefer reducing property taxes, and 3% prefer reducing the overall sales tax rate.
South Dakotans across the political spectrum and from every walk of life overwhelmingly support eliminating the sales tax on groceries, including:
· 75% of Republicans;
· 76% of Democrats;
· More than 70% of every income breakdown;
· More than 70% of both genders; and,
· More than 70% of every age bracket.